My hero from around the world

Thursday, October 29

Five years ago, I stepped into the most amazing museum i've ever experienced on my travels. Most tourists would walk right past this house and never know the incredible, rich and courageous history hidden there. Friends, being in the home of Corrie Ten Boom (in the city of Haarlem, in The Netherlands) impacted my heart like no other experience in all my adventures. She is my hero. 

If you don't know the story, made popular by Corrie's book The Hiding Place, then go buy yourself a copy right now! Corrie was a brave and faithful Dutch woman who, along with her family, hid Jews in her home during WWII. They saved the lives of hundreds, and ultimately were caught by the SS and forced into a concentration camp. Their home, which is now a museum, gives the most moving tours, describing how the family had been praying for the Jewish people every day for 100 years, and how God used them in a unique way to rescue many Jewish friends. 

Corrie spent the rest of her life traveling the world, speaking out on forgiveness and reconciliation. Portions of her family were killed by the Nazi's in a concentration camp, and after the war was over, she learned to forgive her captors, and went on to set up a rehabilitation center for many of the German people. Seriously, if you need some incredible encouragement, read The Hiding Place. I read it while we were on our SE Asia trip a few years ago, and cried sweet tears of joy. Kevin suggested I leave it at the book exchange at our hostel in Hanoi, Vietnam, so I pray someone picked it up and was blessed! 

A few short quotes of Corrie's that have helped me through many a tough time are: 

"What wings are to a bird, and sails to a ship, so is prayer to the soul. "

"There is no pit so deep, that God's love is not deeper still."

"Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God" 


 I'll leave you with a beautiful poem that Corrie wrote called Life is But a Weaving:

My life is but a weaving
Between my God and me.
I cannot choose the colors
He weaveth steadily.
Oft’ times He weaveth sorrow;
And I in foolish pride
Forget He sees the upper
And I the underside.
Not ’til the loom is silent
And the shuttles cease to fly
Will God unroll the canvas
And reveal the reason why.
The dark threads are as needful
In the weaver’s skillful hand
As the threads of gold and silver
In the pattern He has planned
He knows, He loves, He cares;
Nothing this truth can dim.
He gives the very best to those
Who leave the choice to Him.
Have a beautiful Thursday dear friends:) May you know that our sweet Lord cares about you so tenderly, knows you intimately, and loves you deeply. He is weaving something beautiful with you!

Oh, and if you ever make it to Holland, you must take the 15 minute train ride from Amsterdam to Haarlem to visit the home of Corrie Ten Boom:)

No comments :

Post a Comment

I LOVE hearing from you friend:) Your comment will make my day!