Beatenburg {Interlaken), Switzerland

Friday, June 10













The funny thing about our trip to Europe at Christmas, was that I was certain we'd finally have our first white Christmas…and I was wrong. Everyone we met kept telling us it was one of the warmest Decembers they'd had in a long time. I was keeping my fingers crossed that heading up in the Swiss Alps would give us at least a taste of snow, as it was the perfect location to ski and sled (I can't tell you how excited I was to sled!)…but alas, even without snow, it was still a gorgeous winter experience! 

I have been to Interlaken a few times, and each time have stayed on the South side of the lake up high in the mountains in the towns of Lauterbrunen and Murren. However, this trip we stayed on the North side of the lake in Beatenburg. It had an absolutely stunning view of the lake and the whole of Interlaken. And, we stayed at this airbnb, and Ursula our host was amazing! She told us all sorts of fun things to do in the area. 

The first night of our trip, my parents and Kev and I took the cable car up to the Niederhorn. It was absolutely stunning. Had epic views of the lakes below, and a gorgeous area to grab a bite to eat or something warm to drink. When there is snow, you can ski and sled all the way down the mountain right up to our Airbnb! Since there was no snow, we actually rented scooters and my whole family took the cable car up and scootered down the mountain the next day. We also spent one night in the city of Interlaken. They have a small Christmas market and a really neat ice skating rink. 

We also hung out in the town of Gridewald the next day, which is what the last few pictures are of. Gridwald is the usual starting point for ascents of the Eiger and the Wetterhorn for skiing and sledding, so a great town if you are into winter sports.  

If you've never been to the Interlaken area, you must go. It's an absolute must! I'll never tire of exploring the alpine towns! And it was a perfect end of our European Christmas trip! Enjoy! 














The town of Grindewald below...

No comments :

Post a Comment

I LOVE hearing from you friend:) Your comment will make my day!